Sunday, August 29, 2010

What makes a good reader?

So this past week, I gave my AP literature students an article titled, "What makes a good reader and writer?" by Vladmir Nabokov. In the article Nabokov mentions many qualities of a good reader, one of them being that the reader should not be emotionally vested into a character when reading a novel. Nabokov goes on to say the reason for this is because when then the reader is emotionally involved they can no longer see the big picture. I agree with Nabokov, but many of my students did not. They argued that if they can't get emotionally involved, what is the point of reading the novel? I reminded the students that there is two types of literature: entertainment and literary literature. As with many entertainment novels (think Twilight and Harry Potter) the reader easily gets emotionally involved with the characters because of the way the text is written. My challenge to the students was if they were to re-read these books, and remain objective, might they see more to the story or view the story differently? To continue to further challenge their thinking, I asked the students to come up with a list of qualities that make a good reader. Here are some of the things they said:
*Don't let your opinions as a reader get in the way of liking the novel
*See the conflict in the novel from both sides
*Don't judge the characters right away
*Have an open mind and remain unbiased
*Have a good memory for detail
*The reader should want to read the book
*Have google handy
*The reader should be able to learn a lesson from what they read
*Appreciate the dialect in which the novel is written

It is interesting that after we discussed (and they disagreed initially) that they shouldn't be biased when reading, many of them listed that a good reader is one who remains unbiased when reading! So my question to the general public is: "To YOU what makes a good reader?"

2 comments:

Chartering New Waters said...

I enjoyed reading this entry! Having just read a couple "easy reads" and also some classics this summer, I did find myself getting emotionally invested. :)

On a sidenote: I seem to remember and take more away from classic literature than modern novels.

Kristen Paul said...

I agree with you Amanda. Classic literature has a way of staying with me longer to. Maybe it has to do with the writing style??